Virginia and Hale Streets (at the foot of the Southside Bridge)
This is a five-story structure that is used as an office rental space. Originally the location of the first wholesale grocery distribution firm of Lewis, Hubbard, & Company, the warehouse was burned to the ground in 1887. In 1898 the warehouse was rebuilt; since then the building has been headquarters to numerous businesses. It has been restored to its 1898 beauty, including exposing all columns, beams, and interior brick walls as well as installing period lighting and using special cleaning and restoration techniques.
Be sure to take note of the environmental mural which is located on the side of the building facing the Southside Bridge. This mural, incorporating the actual windows in the building, was conceived and painted by Bart Davies, a Fine Arts graduate of Penn State. It took two years to complete.