1105 Quarrier Street
The original St. John’s Episcopal Church was a brick building situated on the northwest corner of Virginia and McFarland Streets; it was designed by Isaac Pursell and built and consecrated in 1839. Used by the Union army during the Civil War, the building was later repaired and refurbished; however, the congregation decided to move to the current structure in 1888. This building exhibits the best elements of both Gothic and Romanesque design; a heavy base is topped by highpitched roofs and an enormous tower. The parish house was built in 1928. Both are on the National Register of Historic Places.