St. Mark’s Episcopal

4th Avenue in St. Albans
Church offices are open from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily

This church got its Kanawha Valley beginnings in 1825, when Morris Hudson built a small brick church behind his house on the old Kanawha Turnpike. The church at that time was called Bangor Parish, after Hudson’s home church in Pennsylvania. This was the Episcopal place of worship until it was burned. The new structure was built in 1847 after fire destroyed the original church. Several items from the old church, like the lecturn and a Bible were brought from the Bangor parish sanctuary; the bell in the old tower is also from the original church. It was occupied by federal troops during the Civil War and almost destroyed, as they tore up the grounds and even removed the floors. Later restored, it was nearly 50 years before the federal government paid for damages. Located on “B” Street near