Union Building

723 Kanawha Blvd., East

Clarence L. Harding, architect. The tallest building in West Virginia at the time of its construction in 1911, the landmark Union Building is a symbol of Charleston’s early banking and business concerns. It was originally named the Alderson-Stephenson Building in honor of businessmen Charles Alderson and Samuel Stephenson, the men who financed its construction.