Discover the wonders of water at Clay Center’s Splashfest family fun day
Title: Discover the wonders of water at Clay Center’s Splashfest family fun day
Location: One Clay Square, Charleston, WV 25301
Link out: Click here
Description: Play with bubbles, launch a rocket and test out your own mini-boat at the Clay Center’s Splashfest family fun day on Saturday, August 4. Enjoy wet and wild science and art activities from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The day’s schedule includes:
• Water coloring, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Paint an original picture, or fill in an image with your favorite colors.
• Water rocket launches, 11:30 a.m., 1 and 2:30 p.m. – Send a rocket filled with water into the sky.
• Aquapalooza, noon – 4 p.m. – Make some of the biggest bubbles you’ve ever seen, and pretend you’re at the beach by building a sand castle.
• Mini-boat building, noon – 4 p.m. – Construct a unique watercraft out of plastic bottles, Styrofoam, balloons and other items.
• Water squirt contest, 12:30, 2 and 3 p.m. – Launch a stream of colored water to beat the competition.
• “Anything that floats” races, 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. – Test out your mini-boat and see how fast it can go.
• Magnetic marvels science demo, 1, 2 and 3 p.m. – Learn how magnets work.
While at the Center, discover the mysteries of the mouth in “Your Spitting Image,” a limited-time, interactive science display from the National Museum of Dentistry. Then, get up close to some of the most misunderstood predators on the planet in the “Bears” giant screen film and travel through the solar system in the “Jupiter: Planetary Giant” planetarium show.
Plus, visit the art gallery for two new exhibits. See black-and-white photos of rock ‘n’ roll legends in “Artist to Icon: Early Photographs of Elvis, Dylan and the Beatles” and explore the works of 20 international artists in “The Edge of Vision: Abstraction in Contemporary Photography.”
Splashfest is sponsored by West Virginia American Water. All Splashfest activities are included in museum gallery admission, which is free for Clay Center members or just $6 for children and $7.50 for adults. Films and planetarium shows are additional. For more information about this and other exciting family events at the Clay Center, visit www.theclaycenter.org or call 304-561-3570.