In the effort to support the community of the Greater Kanawha Valley, a trust was organized in 1962. Named the Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation, its main aim is to accept contributions, create and administer funds and make grants for the benefit of the people. The foundation handles several funds, each with its own donor and philanthropic purpose. At any given time, the funds can have as much as ten thousand to nine million dollars. As a public foundation under the Tax Reform Act of 1969, the TGKVF and its benefactors are able to enjoy tax advantages.
The foundation has eight trustee banks, investment managers and an investment advisory companny to carry out the duties assigned by the Board of Trustees, who are appointed by civic and public organizations or elected. To generate income for the foundation, the principal of each fund is invested through its trustee banks and investment managers. This income is distributed as grants and scholarships to different organizations or individuals. The foundation gives grants to a variety of causes and areas of interests like arts and culture, economic development, education, health, human services, land use, and recreation.
The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation
1600 Huntington Square
900 Lee Street, East, Charleston, WV 25301
PO Box 3041, Charleston, WV 25331
Phone: (304) 346-3620, 1-800-467-5909
Fax: (304) 346-3640