This gorgeous art deco architecture stands on Washington street, on the East End of Charleston. Formerly a theatre, it now houses the offices of the West Virginia School Service Personnel Association (WVSSPA).
Built in 1939, it served West Virginia’s citizens for 43 years, until finally closing its doors in 1982. The building has fallen in disrepair — the building was abandoned and the roof of the structure has collapsed. The future of the Old State Theatre was bleak, until it was renovated and refurbished to serve as WVSSPA’s offices.
The 1930s style vitrolite facade was replaced, and the door is a reproduction. The original red brick of the theatre was painted to a soft shade of beige. The sign in the middle was original to the structure, but back in the days, the marquee overhang forms a triangle.
The West Virginia School Service Personnel Association was careful to honor the building’s heritage. Though the interiors has been converted to suit their organization’s needs, movie posters decorate the walls of their office.