The majestic building standing at the corner of Capitol of Fife streets is one of Charleston’s impressive architecture. This Queen Anne Renaissance style structure is made of pressed bricks and is topped by a conical Victorian turret.
The Scott Building was originally built in 1891 for brothers W.D. Scott and G.W. Scott. It was turned into the Scott Brothers Drug Store & Soda Fountain in 1914. It has changed hands since, and the latest owner was the lawfirm of Bailey & Glasser, who used the building as their Charleston, WV headquarters.
Located next to the Scott Building is the First Empire Federal Savings and Loan Association building, that used to be the site of the famous Burlew Opera House, a 1,500-seat theatre. In 1918, it was replaced by the O.J. Morrison Department Store.
209 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301